Hayle Light and Life Church Privacy Notice
Hayle Light and Life Church is part of the Light and Life Free Methodist Church West Cornwall Charity, registered in England and Wales (1147067).
This Privacy Notice explains what to expect when Hayle Light and Life Church collects and processes your personal information. We encourage you to read this notice carefully and if you’d like to learn more about our data protection and privacy policies or get further clarification, please contact the Hayle Light and Life Church Administrator at our church office and we will be happy to assist.
36 Penpol Terrace,
Hayle, Cornwall, TR27 4BQ
T 07597 134 932
Hayle Light and Life Church is committed to respecting your privacy and ensuring the personal information you have entrusted to us is held securely. We process personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Privacy & Electronic Communications Regulations 2003. These laws are being updated on 25th May 2018 to strengthen your rights to privacy and give you control over the personal information that organisations hold about you.
Personal information of children will only be collected and processed with the explicit permission of the parent / guardian of the child.
How we collect personal information
We may collect personal information in the following ways. When you:
• Register to be included in the Hayle or Penzance Church Directories.
• Subscribe to receive emails through our Mail Chimp service.
• Submit a DBS application.
• Register to make regular or one – off payments via standing order or direct debit.
• Register as a Gift Aid donor.
• Register to take part in events that take place through the church, for example the annual
• Contact us with an enquiry.
• Attend church or a church event when photographs or videos are being taken.
• Visit The Bridge which has a CCTV system installed.
• Apply for a position, provide references or submit expenses claims.
The personal information we collect
The information we collect may include:
• Personal identifiers such as your title, name, date of birth and gender.
• Contact details including postal address, post code, email address and telephone number(s).
• Family relationship details including parental responsibility.
• Church attended and membership details.
• Financial information such as your bank details.
• Whether you are a UK tax payer.
• Records of your communications with us.
• Photographs or video footage taken during church events.
• CCTV video as part of the security systems at The Bridge.
• Application specific details such as employment history or former residences. Sensitive personal data
The Data Protection Act recognises some information as ‘sensitive personal data’. This includes, but is not limited to, information which may reveal your religious beliefs, health issues, race or ethnic origin.
We may collect information when:
• You have disclosed any health concerns or disability in order that we may meet any additional requirements that you may have, or if you require First Aid treatment.
• We receive prayer requests which may include information that reveals sensitive personal data.
• If you are working with children or vulnerable individuals you will be required to undergo a DBS check which may require the collection of sensitive personal data such as conviction history.
Hayle Light and Life Church will always treat any sensitive personal data we process with great care, and process the information in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
Why we collect your personal information
We collect personal information for processing in the following ways:
• To keep you informed about what’s happening throughout the church and about both internal and external events that may be of interest.
• To enable us to contact you with relevant and appropriate information.
• To enable us to compile and update the Church Directories.
• To enable us to create serving and preaching rotas for use within the church.
• To enable us to offer a positive experience for all visitors to our website, and to identify where we can improve.
• To create, update and improve the visual impact of our website and marketing campaigns using photographs.
• To process gifting and financial donations as one-off gifts or through regular tithing.
• To reclaim tax on Gift Aid donations, if applicable.
• To manage our employees and volunteers.
• To ensure our safeguarding responsibilities and policies are adhered to.
• For compliance with employment law and other statutory requirements.
Hayle Light and Life Church feel it is important to offer you the opportunity to be notified and kept
informed about what’s going on through the church. This includes sending you information about news and events that are coming up in the future, both led by the church and by other identified organisations where we feel they could be of value.
• Email marketing: We will ask for your permission to contact you by email for marketing purposes.
• Phone marketing: We will ask for your permission to contact you by phone / text for marketing purposes.
• Postal marketing: We will only send you marketing communication by post if you have given us permission to do so.
Hayle Light and Life Church is committed to respecting your choice to receive marketing information.
You can update your permission and contact preferences at any time by:
• Writing to the Hayle Light and Life Church Administrator at:
36 Penpol Terrace,
• Phoning the church office on: 07597 134 932.
• Emailing the church office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link included in each Mail Chimp communication we send.
Ensuring data accuracy
Hayle Light and Life Church recognises the requirements that personal data held should be accurate
and kept up to date. We have processes in place to enable us to do this:
• The Church Directories are updated annually and you will be given the opportunity to check and ensure the data held is accurate and current.
• All emails sent through Mail Chimp communications include a link to allow you to update your personal data.
• Any errors or updates can be reported to the church office at any time.
Ensuring the relevance of your personal information Hayle Light and Life conducts annual Data Audits to ensure that any personal information held is
relevant, processed as needed and complies with the requirements of the Data Protection Act.
The security of your personal information is important to us. Information held by Hayle Light and Life Church is secured in the following ways:
Access to personal information is restricted to those who need to process the data.
Electronic personal information is stored on password or PIN protected computer systems and securely deleted when no longer needed, in accordance with data retention regulations.
The use of memory sticks for transferring personal information is discouraged unless the device is password protected or encrypted. Personal information is deleted from devices once the transfer has taken place.
Paper based personal information is stored in locked filing cabinets or cupboards and destroyed by shredding when no longer needed, in accordance with data retention regulations.
Who we share your personal information with
Hayle Light and Life Church will only share your personal information with your consent. This may include:
• Including your personal information in the Church Directory. The directory is published within the church electronically and in hard copy and includes personal identifiers, contact details, family relationships and church attended. Note: Hayle Light and Life Church advises secure storage and disposal of the directories when they are no longer required or have become outdated, but has no control over how individuals choose to do this.
• By request: If a request is received by the church from an individual or organisation for your personal information (for example, a phone number), the church will always contact you to obtain your permission before sharing any information.
• The church uses Mail Chimp as our preferred email marketing platform. The data held on the Mail Chimp website is limited to the processing requirements of the church and includes:
Name, email address, gender, church attended, membership status and subscription status.
You can find more information about how Mail Chimp manages stored personal information by
visiting their website: www.mailchimp.com.
• Photographs may be used as part of Hayle Light and Life’s marketing and advertising on the church website, and may be included in the design of leaflets or flyers to promote church events and activities.
Hayle Light and Life Church will only keep your personal information for as long as it is required and in accordance with statutory requirements. Where the information is no longer required, we will ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.
If you have indicated that you do not wish to hear from us in the future, we will keep the minimum information necessary to ensure we avoid contacting you any further.
You have the right that personal data held by Hayle Light and Life Church will be erased upon your request within the requirements of the Data Protection Act. Hayle Light and Life Church will only make exceptions to erasing data if it falls within the Data Retention requirements and allowances of the Data Protection Act.
Your rights concerning the personal data we hold
The Data Protection Act gives you the right:
• To request in writing and securely obtain copies of the personal information Hayle Light and Life Church holds about you.
• To correct or update your personal information processed by Hayle Light and Life Church.
• To request Hayle Light and Life Church to stop using your personal information for marketing purposes or for any other purpose where there is no legal requirement for continued processing.
• To choose whether or not to receive marketing communication from us by email, phone, text or post.
• That personal data held by Hayle Light and Life Church will be processed as per the Data
Retention and Data Erasure requirements.
For more information about your information rights visit www.ico.org.uk
Concerns or compliments
Please contact us if you wish to raise a concern about how Hayle Light and Life Church uses your personal information, or to compliment us with what you think we have done well. You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office about how we manage your
data. For more information please visit www.ico.org.uk.
Changes to this privacy notice
Hayle Light and Life Church will review our privacy notice regularly. The terms of this notice may be updated at any time, for example, in the event of changes in law and how we operate. If there are any significant changes in the way we process your personal information, we will send a notification and contact you directly.
You can view our policies online at: haylelightandlife.co.uk/data_protection_policy or hard copies are available on request by contacting the church office.
This privacy notice was last updated in May 2018.
The types of cookies used on our website are:
• WordPress cookies: The Hayle light & Life Church website has been created using a CMS
(Content Management System) called WordPress. A small number of standard WordPress
cookies are placed on your computer or mobile device as you use the website. We also use a
browsing session, but these are removed when you leave the website. Ironically, to keep track
of whether or not we have shown the cookie notification message, we need to place a cookie
on your computer or mobile device :-).
Additional cookies will be placed if you are an editor or administrator of the website.
• Cookies to improve your experience: We use a small number of cookies on our website to
help improve your experience. For example, if you contact us through our contact form, a
cookie will be placed on your computer or mobile device to allow some information to be
autofilled the next time you contact us.
• Embedded Content: Some of Hayle Light & Life Church web pages include embedded
interactive maps provided by Google. Google may set cookies to store information and
preferences about maps or other associated Google services on pages where we embed
Google maps. We also embed YouTube and Vimeo videos on our website. We are unable to
prevent these sites, or external domains, from collecting information on your usage of this
embedded content. If you are not logged in to these external services then they will not know
who you are but are likely to gather anonymous usage information for example, number of
views, plays, loads etc.
• Analytics: Google Analytics cookies collect information about how visitors use a website and
can help us to continually improve the website. For example, which pages are most popular
with visitors, whether visitors use a computer or mobile device, which country the visitor is
browsing from, which other pages within our website they also navigate to, and if they get error
messages from web pages. All the information these cookies collect is anonymous and contain
no information that might identify you.
Managing your cookie settings
You can block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the placing
of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including
essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our website. To manage your cookie
settings, please refer to your browser software.
Acceptance of cookie use
This is obviously subject to any preferences or browser setting you may have implemented.
This policy was last updated in January 2020.