The Light and Life Story
God is the author behind Light and Life Free Methodist Church in Cornwall. The journey began with Ken Leech, a cynical C.I.D. man. Whilst investigating the murder of a Christian girl in the North West, Ken was so impacted by the purity of her life that it set him off on a search that led to him giving his life to Christ. God turned his life upside down and he became a Pastor in the Free Methodist Church. He and his wife, Joan were involved in planting churches in the NW of England before moving to Helston where they began the Light and Life church in 1985.
At that time I was an unsuspecting farmer in Lancashire totally unaware that God had a plan for me to become a church planter in Cornwall. I had been there only once on holiday as a 5 year old boy, so Cornwall was definitely not on my sat nav! My first wife (now with the Lord) and I had no idea what an awesome invitation God was giving us when He called us to Helston Light and Life.
By then (1994) the church was averaging about 46 people on a Sunday morning. These great people welcomed us with open arms and a sense of expectation because of a prophetic word given just before we arrived. This word said the church ‘would come into great blessing through the new pastor who was coming.’ I could not have known that 20 years later there would be a 15-fold increase in the L & L family with 9 churches, and a passion to see more planted. We can certainly see God’s favour on Light and Life and we give him all the glory as we look back over the journey. Between 1995 and 2016 we had the privilege of seeing hundreds of people give their lives to Christ and being baptised.
Light and Life important church planting dates
- 1985 The church started in Helston in St John’s Mission
- 2000 (12th April) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Penzance
- 2002 (20th October) Light and Life Sunday services begin in Penzance
- 2003 (11th March) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Truro
- 2006 (17th Sept.) Light and Life Sunday services begin in Truro
- 2008 (Sept.) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Hayle
- 2009 (14th Jan.) Weekly mid-week meetings start in St Austell
- 2009 (11th Jan.) Light and Life Sunday services begin in Hayle
- 2009 (27th Sept.) Light and Life Sunday services begin in St Austell
- 2012 (Jan.) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Falmouth
- 2012 (Jan.) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Pool
- 2012 (27th June) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Liskeard
- 2013 (20th Jan.) Light and Life Sunday services begin in Falmouth
- 2013 (20th Jan.) Light and Life Sunday services begin in Pool
- 2014 (7th Jan) Weekly mid-week meetings start in Bodmin
- 2017 (5th March) Light and Life Sunday services begin in Bodmin
God has called a number of Pastors and their wives to be involved in this Light and Life story; Ken and Joan Leech (Helston 1985-1993), David and Anne Gardner (Helston 1993-1994), John and Caroline Townley (Helston 1994-2008, planted in Penzance 2000-2004 and Truro 2003-2004), Andrew and Charlotte Ollerton (Penzance 2004-2011, Hayle 2008-2011), Jonny and Hannah Giddens (Truro 2004-2012), John and Becky Townley (St Austell 2009-2017, planting in Liskeard 2012-2014, Bodmin 2013-2017), Michael and Lesley Bretton (Helston 2009-present), Bob and Christine Hardman (Hayle 2011-present), Phil and Christine Jensen (Penzance 2011-2014), Simon and Julie Gardner (Truro 2011-2016), Pete and Rosie Godfrey (St Austell 2012-present), Chris and Danutia Banwell (Falmouth 2012-2015), Ian and Jackie Langridge (Pool 2012-present), John Leech (Pool 2014–present), Mark and Bronwen Davy (Liskeard 2012-present) and Pete and Angie Taylor (Liskeard 2012-2016).